Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Wadaya Know?

Hey it's going to be 35 degrees today, what better way to spend it than crawling around in a tin shed in a metal car! It's was only going to be a quick trip to pull out the side windows, wiring and lights. Also the scariest bit was meeting Wayne, the man I am selling a kidney for to pay for his skilled work.

The first thing he did when stepping out of his car was look at the side of the car and sucked air in through his teeth, wow always an expensive sign!

Anyway after about an hour kicking, picking and poking all the panels, we've decided to get the shell ready for blasting. I have to remove the doors - they are beyond help, tailgate and front end.

I have a gas fuel system if anyone wants it - that'll be fun pulling it out. Anyway a couple more interesting things cropped up while I was tinkering today, the photos will explain.

How the hell did this car even run with the wiring harness cooked well done?

Sean from Fastlane sent me some interesting brochure scans of the HJ. He also mentioned the car never came with chrome taillight surrounds! How interesting, because every photo reference I have gathered so far has the surrounds fitted, even on HJ and HX models. So I'm glad these can go - they are not even a matching pair, both are original Holden parts, but look closely and you'll see the difference, they even weigh different.

Grille off, and Wayne tells me he wants the whole front end off. How did anyone restore cars before the internet is beyond me.

Side windows out, much easier than I expected - thanks Mr flathead screwdriver.

She's had some damage here in the past, been bogged and fiberglassed.

Tailgate to be replaced. The bottom door is a repro, so it's more evidence this car had a rear ender prior to its current paint job.

Cancer of the car. this whole cowl will get replaced, I'll remove it and hopefully everything below is copacetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment